Reviews of Modifications

Who Can Request a Review for Modification of a Support Order and How is a Review of a Child Support Obligation Requested?

Persons / Agencies Allowed

In accordance with 45 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 303.8(a), Kentucky Revised Statute (KRS) 405.430(6) and 921 Kentucky Administrative Regulation (KAR) 1:400 Section 3, the following individuals or entities may request a review for possible modification:

  • The custodial parent may request an adjustment to the child support order
  • The noncustodial parent may request an adjustment to the child support order through our office.
  • A noncustodial parent whose child support order was established by default may request a review through our office.
  • A nonparental custodial parent (i.e., grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, etc.) may request a review for possible modification.

A foreign reciprocating country or a foreign country with which Kentucky has an arrangement may request a review of their order and the request shall be treated the same as a request by another state in accordance with SSA 454(32)(A) (42 U.SC. 654(32)(A)).

Future Reviews

Personal Responsibility Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) Section 351, SSA 466(a)(10) (42 U.SC. 666(a)(10)), 45 CFR 303.8(b)(6), and KRS 405.430(6) specify that at least once every three years, child support staff must notify each party subject to a IV-D child support order of the right to request a review of the order and, if appropriate, adjust the order.